Select Page

Leeds vs Salford
Super League
7:45pm Friday 6th September

Salford Red Devils notched their seventh win in a row and all-but confirmed their spot in Super League’s semi-finals using a victory over Leeds Rhinos.
The Red Devils finished a streak at Headingley thanks to efforts in Joey Lussick, Jake Bibby and also Niall Evalds. Four goals dropped by Krisnan Inu were sufficient assist Salford notch a significant result and to hold a fast-finishing Rhinos facet.
The victory sees the Ian Watson’s side keep hold two points ahead of sixth-placed Hull FC, about the brink with 1 round of the Super League season.
Rhinos’ England forward Stevie Ward forced his return to action after over six months on the sidelines with a knee injury, while opposing half-backs Tui Lolohea and Robert Lui confronted their former teams to the first time after swapping clubs in a loan move in June.
Salford started strongly with Logan Tomkins held up after 11 minutes over the try-line and, 10 minutes later, it was.
The full-back finished a break off from the elusive Jackson Hastings under the posts to score. Inu converted the try to provide Salford a lead and, soon after, the Red Devils were .
A fast shift to left found Bibby and the centre stepped inside some defence to score. Inu made no error to bring the additional 2 points, taking the score.
Leeds hit back three minutes to half-back Richie Myler. Jack Walker is put by An excellent Liam Sutcliffe offload through a gap, and he discovered Myler to conquer Evalds to cross. Rhyse Martin’s transformation was effective to make it 12-6.
Inu added another penalty goal to extend Salford’s lead to eight points.
From the second half the Rhinos lifted their intensity, but the Red Devils’ defence was up to the task. A series of penalties had Leeds camped on the people’ try-line, but Salford kept turning back them together with tackles and robust contact.
They cracked at the 54th minute. A grubber from Brad Dwyer caused chaos at the in-goal area, fooling the visitors’ defence, and forwards Jamie Jones-Buchanan pounced. Martin’s transformation from directly in front cut it back to 14-12.
As both groups were placed under pressure defence again came to the fore. The Rhinos came close several times to snatching an winning try, but Lussick burrowed around with seven minutes left to finally end Leeds’ fightback.
Salford’s travelling service plummeted along with there was a flare thrown stopping play. Inu nailed another conversion to set the seal on the win Once it was cleaned up.

Read more here: