You can listen to the interview that is full clicking here.
We covered a complete lot of topics everything from why I believe they ought to leave the vocabulary in the SAT as is, to whether I believe that test prep works. Among the many topics we talked about were:
- Different types of test prep, which work and why
- Commercial test prep
- Signs of good vs bad test prep
- Just how to encourage a teenager
- What the College Board is testing
- The most useful time to tour colleges
- Lessons I learned all about the SAT
- Lessons I learned as a mother
We also talked about my upcoming guide, The Ideal get Project: Uncovering the Secrets of the SAT and what it’s all about.
How Much Does the SAT Count in the Admissions Decision?
So how much does the SAT Count in the Admissions choice?
SAT counts to get more than colleges will acknowledge to much less than students think.
The Academic Index the AI Calculator should shed light on ‘how much’ the SAT counts. Although AI was developed for athletes, they calculate it for many students.
Never miss these Kitchen Table Math remarks, which add more insight, including one commenter who found a (slightly old) College Board report that gives a wide range of information on the decision techniques utilized by many universities.
The part that is first based on your SAT scores, the second component is predicated on your SAT II scores, and also the third component is dependant on your GPA. The link above talks about a GPA table provided to the eight universities, but it doesn’t explain the way the GPA is determined. It appears to use a scale that is weighted the most effective score is 4.3. I have not found out exactly how this true number is calculated. The spreadsheet then proceeds to choose the higher score associated with each of the two GPA figures. It’s always struck me that the SAT ratings make up two-thirds of this index. Colleges might come with a fudge factor if they know something about a school that is high but no option for that shows up in the example spreadsheet.
Quadruplets’ Mom Requirements SAT Advice
Dear Ms. Stier:
I recently discovered your internet site and it is loved by me! Thanks for doing it.
I could really use some advise on how best to approach test that is SAT for my quadruplets. [me: OMG]
I have 3 girls and 1 kid. They took the PSAT in sophomore year and they will take the PSAT again this October.
One of the disadvantages of having all my children the same age is that any mistakes I make affects all four. None of shmoop academic essay writing service them benefit from me learning from my errors so i really hope getting this as right as I can.
Do you might think I should have them study being a little group together under my guidance (from experience it’s like trying to herd cats); get a tutor for the four of them in a small group; have someone tutor them separately; or send them up to a test prep center that is SAT? Or perhaps a mixture of all of these? I need to watch my costs too.
How do I find a tutor that is good? What’s the test prep company that is best?
If these are questions you can help me with I would personally appreciate it. If its not a thing that you are able to help me then that’s okay and I also appreciate you taking your own time to read my e-mail.
Thanks again for the info that is website
Dear Multiple Mom,
My gut says to do some come together along with four (e.g. lots of vocab, full practice tests, and they can explain answers to one another because that’s a good way to learn), and do a little preparation separately. If you’re able to find a tutor( that is affordable), that’s the most effective means.
Here are a few questions to ask a potential tutor (or test prep company):
1) Do you modify your approach and, if so, exactly how?
2) exactly What’s your score that is average gain student? Many tutors will not respond to this question because there are so variables that are many it’s almost perhaps not fair to inquire of. Having said that, an excessive ‘average score gain’ should be considered a flag. e.g., 200 points in per month.
3) the length of time do you advise students to prepare for the SAT and how much does it cost? The answer that is right be individual and will be based on where the student begins and what the goal is.
4) What test prep materials do you use? ( If it’s not official College Board material, be wary.)
5) how homework that is much there be between sessions? (A great tutor will have students do as much act as possible off the clock, such as vocab and practice tests.)
The first rung on the ladder is to possess all four kids take an official College Board practice SAT. You need to use one from the College Board’s Blue Book, or the university Board has a training test on its website.
You need to figure out exactly what they should work on and if they need foundational work or more test prep polish that is traditional. My guess is as I did!) that they need foundational work, since many kids do (and. Make sure you select a test or tutor prep business who can assess that well!
Regarding test prep companies, we’d stay away from anyone who does not primarily use university Board product (that would include most/if not all large, brand-name test prep companies).